Monday, November 9, 2009

Gardens, Swimming, & Magna

I went up to see my old roommate this weekend. It was the first time I was away from my puppy for a full night (actually it was even two) which was sorta scary. I left her in care with my dad. He's such a sucker. When I wanted to get a puppy he straight up refused. He was so mad at me when I went to get it. And now he adores her. It's my favorite when he comes and tells me what she does. Or when I'm going to do something and he volunteers to care for her. I really am so blessed with my parents. But I went to visit and it was, really, so nice! I desperately needed to be around someone I could be myself around. I didn't worry about whether or not she was going to be annoyed with me. Or if I was going to be entertained. I didn't have to worry about focusing on her or if I was being selfish.
Also I got to blow off steam. I was able to talk about my broken heart without hearing that I needed to get over it. Without feeling like she didn't want to hear it. I could just talk. And I could listen. It was alright for her to relay her frustrations over her relationships, her family, her life. And neither of us judged. Both of us were validated. (At least, I hope she felt such.) It really is a very good thing to be able to have someone you could go to. I love my parents and my other friends but lately I've had to focus more on them, their lives & complications and felt like I haven't been able to take a little for myself.
The first night I was there we went to the dollar theater, GI Joe--pretty good movie in my opinion. And then we just drove and talked. And talked. Saturday we went to a temple and did baptisms--such a good experience. I love that. We went swimming with another friend. Which was great! I haven't gone swimming for the LONGEST time. After that we got ourselves all prettyfied and went to The Garden. Which is nice restaurant at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building in Salt Lake City. It overlooks Temple Square and isn't terribly pricey--still pricier than I'm used to (which doesn't say much) but within my meager budget. It was fun to feel elegant and classy and pampered. Plus the view is great. Also, the roof is retractable and the weather was nice enough that when we asked about it the manager opened the roof for us. It was awesome! And we felt priveleged. After that we really just hung out and enjoyed everything. I came home Sunday, was very happy to see my puppy and spend time with my family.
But I'm so grateful for the weekend. I'm glad I am so blessed with friends like this. Friends that are there for me. And allow me to be there for them.

No comments: