Friday, July 20, 2012

Moment to Moment

I will say that I have thought about the difference a moment can make in a life. My Uncle passed away suddenly last week, very unexpected. And I know how crazy it has been for his family and for the rest of the family. We were all in such a shock. I am so grateful at the knowledge that death is not the end. However, my heart still breaks for his family. And it makes me think of how crazy life can be. How unexpected. And that we need to enjoy every aspect of our life.

If this experience wasn't enough I had another heart-stopping experience. This one with a happy ending. Yesterday I was in meetings and got pulled out by my coworker saying "You need to call your husband! He's been hurt! He cut himself!" I knew that he was working about 2 hours away from our home and, being over dramatic I was imagining the worst! I was so scared and nervous. When I finally got a hold of him, I found that he had been using a razor blade while talking on the phone, missed and caught his thigh. Luckily he didn't slice anything but he had a fairly deep puncture that hit muscle. He stated that he was fine, he was going to go to an Instacare and get stitches. I still worried like crazy! I was also somewhat frustrated because they didn't have a vehicle with them. Apparently 3 of them had come up together, 2 of them went to work on a job and the other worker had some meetings about 45 minutes away. So it was over an hour after he cut himself that he received medical attention. He's fine, however he does have 3 stitches and his thigh hurts. He says the worst part was seeing his muscle and fat.

The hardest part for me is that he asked me NOT to come get him. My mom was coming back from a trip and would be passing through where he was at so he would just get a ride with her. I am very much about control and it was so hard to go back to work and act like things were normal when, even though I had his assurances that he was fine, I imagined every possible thing that could go wrong. Especially since his ride was STILL not nearby. I imagined him bleeding all over the place, even though it really was only a puncture. I asked him not to do that to me again. Even if it's pointless and I can't help, my driving there to see him would have made me much more comfortable because I would feel like I was at least doing something. Everybody joked that it was going to send me into labor. I worried that it was something way serious and then what would I do with Weston when I finally went into labor?!?!

It was definitely one experience I don't care to repeat. But made me remember how grateful I am for my husband. And how much we should all savor every moment. Because we never know what will happen next. I mean, on a lighter note, look at me, barely married a year and 9 months pregnant. I could be a Momma any day. And when I am, I'm certain that moment to moment will take an even greater toll.

No comments: